Fetri Detsi, or popularly known as okra soup is a kind pf soup that originated from the Ewe ethnic group in the Volta Region of Ghana. It is usually prepared with the popular Zomi (red oil) which gives it a distinct taste. Sometimes, it’s also prepared with Sunflower oil or no oil at all, depending on preferences.
It is a very healthy vegetable meal soup with options of meat and fish to cook it into a complete ravishing taste.
Before we begin this recipe, I would like to introduce you to an important ingredient called Kaun. Kaun is a natural lake salt that forms during the rainy season and dries out into a firm grey rough like rock in the dry season. It’s best used to marinate meat, soften pulses when cooked and activates the mucilage of Okra, which works well with this recipe.
Kaun is used in this recipe to activate the Okra’s viscosity but it is optional.
400g of finely diced Okra
1 large smoked Tilapia
250g of fresh Prawns
200g of Shitake Mushrooms
1 large Onion
1 Habanero chilli
1 medium finely sliced Onion
30g of grated Ginger
Half a teaspoon of Kaun (Optional).
2 cloves of grated Garlic
350g of fresh Spinach
500g of fresh dressed Crab
1 litre of Water or Vegetable stock
- Blend the Ginger, Aniseed, Garlic and Onion into a smooth paste.
- Place the smoked Tilapia, a litre of water into a large saucepan and place on a medium heat.
- Add the sliced Onions and half of the Ginger mix and boil for about 30 minutes. This process is to create your own stock for the soup.
- Add the Crabs and cook further for 10 minutes. This will allow the flavour of the crab to infuse into the stock and vice versa.
- At this stage add the chopped Okra, Kaun, the remaining Ginger mix and stir.
- Cook for 4 minutes and add the Prawns. It’s best to add the Prawns and Spinach as the last thing (this ensures they aren’t over cooked and retain their nutrients).
- Cook the Prawns for 2 minutes and add the washed Spinach.
- Mix everything together and turn the heat off.
- Cover the soup with the lid of the saucepan and let it rest for 2 minutes. This will trap the steam and cook the Prawns and Spinach further.
- Serve immediately and enjoy it on its own or with banku.
Written by Emmanuel Opoku